A toaster oven tray or crumb tray is a removable part in a toaster oven that collects crumbs, food splatters, and grease from food cooked in a toaster oven. It is usually square-ish in shape as it adjusts to the size of the baking rack.
After cooking a delicious meal in your toaster oven, there is usually the plight of how to clean your tray because it is usually covered in grime, crumbs, and grease.
A common solution is to tackle it with abrasive and oven cleaners. However, the use of oven cleaners has been found to peel-off aluminum coatings progressively.
So how to clean a toaster oven tray properly? The easiest solution to this predicament is to first learn about the different types of homemade cleaning agents.
Then it is just a matter of properly removing the tray and applying the cleaning agent.
How to Clean a Toaster Oven Tray with Homemade Cleaning Agents
Commercial oven cleaners can be quite expensive and toxic to use.
Although they contain chemicals that leave your toaster oven shining, they leave chemical residues in your oven and are not eco-friendly.
Homemade cleaning ingredients, however, are cheap, effective, and non-toxic natural components that can be used individually or when combined together.
Some commonly used homemade cleaning agents are:
Cooking salt is surprisingly an effective ingredient for a stress-free crumb tray and general toaster oven cleaning.
The technique of using salt involves sprinkling it on any food bubbles, spills or splatter before it solidifies.
It makes for an easy clean when your toaster oven is cool.
It also eliminates odors.
2. Baking Soda
Baking soda or Bicarbonate of soda is a commonly used and one of the most effect household cleaners for the deepest and hardest stains.
It helps to remove and break up dirt that is stuck to the crumb tray or oven surface.
To get a grime-free crumb oven tray, it is important to balance your baking or washing soda to water ratio. Basically, your aim should be to create a thick paste out of baking soda which can then be applied to the oven tray.
Here are the basic steps in creating the paste.
- Mix washing soda and hot water in a ratio of 2 to 1 i.e For every part of water, add two parts of baking soda.
- Stir together in a bowl until a paste is formed
- Apply to your crumb oven tray or toaster oven surface with a soft brush (or paintbrush).
- Keep the paste applied overnight
- Wipe clean
Vinegar and Baking Soda – Is it Effective?
One of the most famous practices is to mix vinegar with baking soda. The question is: is this an effective method?
The answer is No. Vinegar is acidic while washing soda is alkaline.
Mixing these two will give you a kind of saltwater that ultimately doesn’t do much.
If you want to use both, it is better to use the baking soda method first and then use vinegar solution as a finishing touch.
To make vinegar solution, follow these steps:
- Add one part water with one part vinegar (one cup water with one cup vinegar).
- Pour the solution in a spray bottle and shake it well so that solution mixes properly.
- Spray the solution on the crumb oven tray
- Wipe and clean it first with a damp piece of cloth and then with a dry piece of cloth.
3. Vinegar and Sugar
White vinegar is an acid that eliminates dirt and kills bacteria. It is a potent cleaner, especially when mixed with sugar.
The procedure of using Vinegar as a crumb oven tray cleaning agent.
- Mix white vinegar and sugar in a ratio of 1 cup vinegar to 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Apply on a baking or drip tray while it’s still hot,
- Let it sit for 1hour
- Scrub lightly
Preliminary Steps to Remember When Cleaning the Crumb Oven Tray
Cleaning of toaster oven tray should be done as regularly as possible.
To prevent having to endure a stressful cleaning that could occur weekly, ensure you wipe out your crumb oven tray after every cooking.
Here are some preliminary steps to take when cleaning your crumb oven tray:
- Never attempt to clean a toaster oven or any of its parts without unplugging it first.
- Next, you open the toaster oven door to remove the tray. Transfer the tray to the sink where you can clean without fear of dirtying the floor or countertop.
- Remove all the crumbs by tilting to one side and tapping on the tray.
- Usually, grimes and some crumbs are stuck on the tray, to get them out, you could soak it with dish soap for about fifteen minutes.
- Once this is all taken care of, you can use one of the cleaning agents and its cleaning method as described above for a deep clean.
Why Should I Clean My Toaster Oven Tray?
There are many reasons why cleaning the toaster oven tray is crucial.
Cleaning your toaster oven helps you prevent a myriad of bacteria. “But my toaster oven heat will terminate all bacteria”. There are some heat-resistant bacteria called thermophiles that thrive in very high temperatures.
Removing Odors and Smells
Frequent cleaning eliminates offensive odors and gives your kitchen a pleasant and clean smell
Leaving scales and grimes in the crumb oven tray is actually a fire hazard.
The crumbs and the grease can heat up very quickly, which could result in damage to your oven and, worse yet, cause a fire.
When to Clean Your Toaster Oven Tray
Some clean their toaster oven’s tray after every use, some clean weekly, some clean toaster oven tray once every other week and others do once a month.
The bottom line is that the longer you wait, the deeper clean you will need to perform.
To reduce stress and of course, be hygienic, it’s best to clean your toaster oven after use.
It’s even better to start cleaning when the toaster oven is still somewhat warm because the spilled substances are not yet totally stuck to the surface.
Toaster Oven Cleaning Precautions
Toaster ovens are electrical appliances and their cleaning methods should be followed cautiously.
To avoid toaster oven malfunction after cleaning, here are some tips;
Let it Dry Before Plugging in
Always leave the cord unplugged before cleaning and plug back only when the toaster is dried
Let air inside your toaster oven to dry after cleaning, do not close the door immediately
Be Careful of the Heating Elements
Do not use a cleaning agent on heating elements. Also, be careful when removing the tray so that the heating element does not get damaged. They are a fragile component.
Be Careful with Liquids
Do not pour or douse your toaster oven with any form of liquid.
When putting the crumb oven tray back inside, make sure it is not wet at all.
Abrasive Agents can be Harmful
Do not use abrasive materials to clean your toaster oven glass or crumb oven tray as it may damage the finish.
Cleaning the glass door or crumb oven tray isn’t as tedious as you may think it is. If you followed this article on how to clean toaster oven tray, you shouldn’t have any issues at all.
If you still have an issue i.e if you are having a hard time locating or removing your crumb oven tray, for example, it is best to refer to the instruction manual of your particular model.
1. How do I get burnt on grease off my oven tray?
Cleaning Instructions for the Burn Oven Tray.
Wipe away excess grease and loose dirt with a paper towel. Fill a sink or tub halfway with boiling or warm water and add a cup of baking soda. Wait for the bubbles to deflate. Leave your tray in the sink for an hour to allow the solution to soften the burn marks.
2. How do you get baked-on grease out of a toaster oven?
Cleaning baked-on grease from a toaster oven is similar to cleaning a regular kitchen oven. Prepare a baking soda and water paste and apply it to the affected area. Allow sitting overnight. Wipe clean with a rag and spray any remaining problem areas with a vinegar-water solution.
3. How do I get burnt stuff off the bottom of my oven?
Place a few drops of vinegar in a spray bottle and spritz all areas of your oven where you still see baking soda residue. The vinegar will react with the baking soda and cause a slight foaming effect. Wipe down the surface with a damp cloth to remove any remaining foamy vinegar-baking soda mixture.
4. How do I clean a baking tray with vinegar?
To clean a baking tray with vinegar, fill the baking tray with vinegar and let it soak for a few hours. Then, scrub the baking tray with a pastry brush to remove any baked-on food residue. Finally, rinse the baking tray with water and dry it off.
5. How do you deep clean a toaster?
Utilize dawn first and then baking soda to attack the stains.
1. Rinse a cloth in soapy water.
2. Wipe the toaster's exterior clean.
3. Allow it to sit for approximately 5 minutes.
4. Wipe away the soap with a damp cloth.
5. To remove any remaining stains, dunk a toothbrush in baking soda.
6. Scrub the stains until they are completely removed.