A very important part of preparing your burger is its temperature and that is why you need to know what temperature to cook burger in oven even before attempting to prepare burgers.
The average temperature that most recipes will recommend for burgers is about 400°F. Basically, there are different possible temperatures that you can cook your burgers. Depending on the level of doneness you want, your cooking temperature can range anywhere from 375°F to 450°F. Each cooking temperature might produce its own unique taste and texture.
Burgers are integral parts of our daily life. Most people eat burgers at least trice a week. Fortunately, burgers are quite easy to prepare. There are different methods of preparation, It can be broiled, grilled or baked in an oven.
In this article, we will discuss more about oven temperatures and how they affect the cooking, taste, texture of your burger and different methods of cooking burger.
Also Read: What is bread proof setting on oven?
What Temperature to Cook Burger in Oven?
When preparing your burger, you can decide to use different temperatures depending on your preference. Once you know the texture and taste of your burgers, you will be able to select the best cooking time and method that suits your needs.
Time and temperature are very much connected when it comes to preparing the perfect burger. Higher temperature would normally mean reduced cooking time.
While generally a nominal temperature of 400°F is recommended, time plays a key role in determining the temperature setting.
Below are some burger cooking temperatures and their possible results. Please ensure that you have mastered the science of burger preparation before deciding not to use your oven thermometer as it is a very useful baking tool.
Also Read: Why is my oven not heating up properly?
How Long to Cook Burger in the Oven?
Let us see review the different cooking temperatures for burger and their time.
- Turn on your oven and preheat to 350°F for about 5 minutes
- Spread out a line of foil on your oven rack and put the burgers on top
- Bake in the oven for about 18 to 20 minutes
- Don’t flip the burger sides otherwise it might drip around the sides.
- Use the oven thermometer to check if the burger is ready
- Depending on the thickness of your burger bun, temperatures might differ
- Burger internal temperatures might range from 140°F to 170°F depending on the level of doneness you like.
- Anything from 140°F is ready to eat
- Preheat your oven to 400°F for a couple of minutes
- Set the oven sheet with foil and put your oven rack over the foil
- Set the baking sheets on the oven rack
- Lay the premade burgers on the baking sheet
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes
- 8 minutes will usually mean medium rare to 10 minutes for medium done
- You can use a cooking thermometer to check the doneness of the burger from the inside.
- Preheat the oven for some minutes
- Line the baking sheets with aluminum foil sheets and place in the oven.
- Put your burger patties on
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes
- 12 minutes for medium done and 10 minutes for medium rare
At 450°F (grill)
- Turn on your oven grill and preheat your oven to 450°F
- Line your baking sheets with aluminum foil and place the oven rack over it
- Move your burger to the oven and grill for 5-10 minutes from medium cooked to well cooked.
- Use your oven thermometer to check the internal temperature
Burger Internal Temperature Guide
If you have a cooking thermometer with a gauge that goes
- 160°F- well done
- 145°F – medium well
- 135°F – medium
- 130°F – medium rare
Conventional vs Convection Oven for Preparing Burger
Convection is an add-on feature found on many regular and toaster ovens. Convection ovens basically offer a built-in fan that allow that allow the circulation of hot air inside the cooking chamber.
Regular ovens basically radiate heat in a single direction and heat the exposed side of the food the most.
Convection ovens tackle this issue with the air circulation.
When employing the use of convection feature, it is important to note that they are quicker as well as require a lower temperature.
There ARE dedicated recipes for cooking burger with the convection feature. However, you can adjust any regular recipe to work with the convection feature by adjusting the time and the temperature.
Ideally, when using convection feature, you should reduce the cooking time by 25% and also reduce the temperature by 25°F.
How to Prepare Burger?
Who doesn’t love burgers? There are countless recipes that you can experiment for your burger preparation.
Here is one hat we personally prefer:
One of the perks of having burgers at home is that they are relatively easy to prepare.
To prepare homemade burger you need
- Preferred burger toppings I.e tomatoes, onions, cheese, lettuce, mustard e.t.c
- Ground beef
- Ground black pepper
- Salt to taste, preferably, kosher salt
- 4 hamburger bun
- Mix the ground beef with all preferred seasonings, add seasonings in small quantity so you don’t over season.
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions
- Try to shape into flat round shapes so it can easily go in the burger
- Divide the burger buns into equal halves and put the seasoned meat in
- Add some cheese on the buns.
- Preheat the oven at 375°F for 10 minutes
- Allow at least 1 inch space between the burgers on the oven rack
- Bake for 8-20 minutes depending on your oven temperature as mentioned earlier above.
- Your 4 servings of homemade burger is ready
Sky is the limit when it comes to preparing burgers. There are simply so many recipes that you can try out and even create yourself.
Here is another one that we love.
- Coating mix
- Hamburger bun
- Beef sauce
- Ground beef
- Combine the ground beef with the beef sauce and add the coating mix.
- Mix properly
- Mold the beef into disc shapes circles
- Coat with the coating mix
- Preheat the oven at 375°F for 10 minutes
- Bake at 350°F, the baking time should be about 20 minutes
- Take out the beef and allow it to cool
- Divide your bun in half and put your baked beef in
- Add some lettuce and melted cheese
- Your burger is ready to eat
Homemade hamburgers are fun to make, you get to choose your preferred ingredients and also choose your level of doneness depending upon the temperature and time settings.
In this article we discussed what temperature to cook burger in oven (see also how to cook sausage). In short though, the simple answer is that they should be cooked at the temperature of about 400°F. However, the temperature can vary a lot depending upon your preference and cooking cycle.
Convection ovens are better options, in our opinion, for preparing burgers than regular oven, because they are better at distributing heat from all sides.
1. How long does it take burgers to cook in the oven at 375?
How long do burgers take to cook at 375 degrees in the oven? A brief overview: Cook for 25 minutes at 375 degrees, then assemble burgers with buns, wrap in foil, and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes for the ULTIMATE, tastiest burger at home!
2. What temperature should I cook burgers in the oven?
Arrange on a baking sheet that has not been buttered. Bake at 350° for approximately 20 minutes, rotating once until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on lettuce-wrapped buns.
3. How long does it take to cook burgers at 250 degrees?
How long do burgers take to cook at 250 degrees? It involves cooking at a temperature of 250 degrees F or less over an extended length of time, typically at least two hours.
4. Do you have to flip burgers in the oven?
Avoid flipping your burgers! Under the patties, the air will circulate, evenly cooking them on both sides and locking in the juices. The top will be well browned and ready to be topped with cheese if desired.
5. Is it better to cook burgers in the oven or on the stove?
Burger patties can be cooked in the oven or on the stovetop. There is no single "optimal method" for cooking burgers inside. While cooking the burgers in a pan is fast and handy, cooking them in the oven allows you to control the quantity of fat released by the meat while cooking.